The U25 programme was established in the National Yacht Club by a group of Ensign members in 2019 with the intention of getting young people in the club enjoying sailing again.
The programme is aimed at sailors between the ages 18 to 25 who have fallen out of sailing and are looking to get back in to the sport in a fun and competitive way, surrounded by their peers. We offer the following in our programme:
- J80 Racing – following on from our success in the 2019 DBSC Tuesday night series, we have been very active in the DBSC summer series for the past 3 years. We have an active J80 that races every Tuesday evening in the summer. The re is fierce competition amongst all the waterfront clubs, and with a good fleet of J80s from all clubs, it is a great way to sink your teeth into some competitive keelboat racing!
- Match Racing – run by Will Byrne, we have a very competitive match racing clinic that is run on Sunday mornings and afternoons. It is a great way to try a different kind of sailing, and to have some competitive fun with friends.
- Events – there are many regattas and events around the country that we plan on entering, including the Women at the Helm regatta at the end of the summer.
- Social – the U25s team is not just about fun and competitive sailing, it also has a vibrant social scene, especially during the summer months. Enjoy the weekly BBQ in the wet bar after a day of racing, or chicken wings up on the balcony. We are hoping to host a regular U25s night to mingle and have a good time with everyone!
- Inter-club regattas – we hope to plan an inter-club regatta in the near future between all of the waterfront clubs, and hopefully extend it to involve other clubs outside of Dun Laoghaire, including Greystones Sailing Club & Howth Yacht Club. Watch this space!!