Thanks to modern technology and the can-do spirit of the Club’s volunteers and staff, the NYC held its Awards ceremony online.
Commodore Martin McCarthy told Afloat “We had a lot to reflect on and celebrate – it being our 150th year and Covid 19 year – a year where survival was winning. We thank every winner as they all joined in and shared their thoughts and insights with fellow members. It was inspiring”.
Dun Laoghaire Rathdown’s first Citizen, Cathaoirleach Una Power joined the NYC for the online event. Among the items she addressed was the year ahead and she said: “I encourage you to keep the Junior Training going as best you can within the Regulations. Also, I know you have a strong Inclusion programme and I would urge you also to keep a focus on it this year. We hope the Volvo Dun Laoghaire Regatta and other events can proceed during the summer and that all sectors can get on the water and lay the foundation stones for a fully normal season with international events in 2021. I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the winners tonight – and also you, the members of the National Yacht Club, for your contribution to sailing and well being of citizens and the Borough of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown”
The Awards process was run by Sailing Sec. Alan Balfe and his team and every club member were entitled to nominate fellow members, which led to the final selection of the winners:
- The CONCORDE PLATE – presented for the best circumnavigation of Ireland – The 2020 Winner is PADDY BARRY.
- The BOYNE REGATTA PLATE – presented for the best performance in Offshore Sailing – The 2020 Winner is: GRANT KINSMAN
- The O’LEARY CUP – presented for the best performance in one design – The 2020 Winner is STEPHEN ORAM & NOEL BUTLER
- The EDWARD YACHT CLUB TROPHY is awarded for the best performance in Dinghies, Mermaids or Flying Fifteens – The 2020 Winner is JOHN LAVERY & ALAN GREEN
- The JOHN BYRNE MEMORIAL TROPHY – is awarded for the greatest contribution to sailing in the NYC during the year – The 2020 Winners are EDDIE TOTTERDELL, CON MURPHY & MAL NOWLAN
- The WINKELMANN TROPHY – is awarded to the Cadet Member who is deemed by his/ her sailing ability to be ‘Cadet of the Year’ – The 2020 Winner is CONOR GORMAN
- The GREYSTONES REGATTA CUP – is awarded to the NYC members who have, as a team, represented the Club with distinction – The 2020 winners are GRAINNE & PETER RYAN
- The PAUL MURPHY CUP – is awarded to the Club’s Race Management Volunteer who contributed most to event management at the Club – The 2020 winner is FRANK BURGESS
- The TOWNSHIP CUP – is awarded for the most impressive cruise – The 2020 winner is SEAN DOYLE
- The MUGLINS CUP – is awarded for the most interesting family cruise – The 2020 winners are THE SHANAHAN FAMILY.
- The MARTIN CROTTY CUP is awarded to the young member who shows outstanding sailing endeavour. The 2020 winner is: JEMIMA OWENS
- The WILD GEESE TROPHY (2019) is awarded to the overseas member who achieves the best performance in racing and distinguishes himself/ herself in sailing – The 2020 winner is: TOM DOLAN
- The SUE McDONNELL TROPHY is awarded to the person who has done most to advance the position of women in Sailing – The 2020 winner is: NICOLE HEMERYCK
- The TOTTERDELL TROPHY is awarded to the person who has done the most to develop the Laser class in the Club – The 2020 winner is: ALISON PIGGOTT
There were special Commendations this year for members who made outstanding contributions to the Club.
- NICOLA FERGUSON
- PATRICK HASSETT
- CILLIAN MELDON
- WILL BYRNE
- DAN BRENNAN
- FIONAN DE BARRA
- DONAL O’SULLIVAN
Michelle Halpenny was awarded this trophy for her outstanding contribution to the success of the Club in the past year.